Monday, May 11, 2009

Day Three: Demolition

We began our day with devotions with the Zambian staff. I enjoy so much worshiping the Lord with our African brothers and sisters. We sing, chant and dance - I don't understand what they are saying but I know the spirit behind their songs.

Today, we finally headed over to the House of Martha which houses the older children (4-14 years old). The kids who are 18 months to 4 years are housed at the Bill and Betty Bryant Nursery at another location. Our job today is to knock down 3 brick walls on the out-building they use as a school in preparation for expanding the building to include an additional classroom. We had a few too many "cooks in the kitchen," so to speak, so I made friends with some of the kids once they got back from school. Half the kids go to a private school next door and were very cute coming home for lunch in their plaid skirts and sweater vests.

We played an African version of pictionary in the dirt with a stick. The biggest challenge was to think of things that they would recognize since their world is filled with things very different from mine. I learned quickly that nature transcends culture boundaries - trees, the sun, flowers, a river - are all things to which they can relate.

The kids are also fascinated by my blond hair and fair skin. I got a new hair-do courtesy of 6 year old Joyce and spent much of the afternoon explaining what freckles were - needless to say, African children don't have freckles.

We were having quite a lovely time when the house mother came out calling with a loud African cry. The kids hopped up and ran around the side of the house. I had to follow to see what the commotion was. What I found was a mess of children, mud, hoses, buckets and water everywhere. One by one, the kids would emerge from the melee much cleaner then they entered it - which I still don't understand because of all the dirt and mud - and head into the house for supper - as always, with a big smile one each face!

Points for Prayer -
- One of our teammates had a little diabetic emergency last night. The staff accidentally froze his insulin. Luckily, we were able to find some insulin last night that should last him for the trip. Please pray that this is our only medical emergency this trip!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hey Jess, good to read about what you're doing. I prayed for you and your team today, and have been thinking about you guys. love you lots!

Sorcha Fox said...

Gah, just left a comment but it got deleted when I signed in! Anyway, I want to see the new hairdo, if it's still like that can you post a picture?

We miss you, come back soon! 5/26/09 works for me.

By the way, don't forget to track your points for the AMH challenge! Each day you can post points for drinking 16 ozs of water (1 point) and also 1 point for every 20 minutes of aerobic activity. Or just once, you can get 5 points for trying a new physical activity such as Zumba or Kayaking.

Meredith said...

Been praying for you and reading your blog!!! I also went over and checked on your house Tuesday/watered the plants, all was a-ok. Hope you're having fun and I know you're doing good work!

JBlaze said...

Hi Nimsy!

I am so glad that you made it safely and that you are enjoying yourself. Keep blogging because I'll keep reading!!

Have fun!
Jordan