Monday, May 11, 2009

Day Two: The Zambian Experience

This morning started out with church. We were supposed to leave promptly at 9:30 but the driver hadn't shown up yet and we couldn't get the vans started. After about an hour and several Zambian and American men all standing around the vans, they manage to get them to start. Sandra - the head of the organization - shrugs, laughs and says "TIA!" (This is Africa!) I'm learning that you have to expect nothing hear because nothing goes as planned.

The church has expansive grounds and is also completely walled. There are several small groups having study sessions under the trees and traditional African Christian music floats out of the cinder block building in the center of the grounds. After church, the guests stand at the back door with the Pastor and greet each of the regular attenders as they leave. The Zambians dress to the nines for church but the dress varies. Some are in traditional African garb with head dresses and brightly colored skirts. Others are in suits and shiney black shoes. They are so excited to meet their Christian brothers and sisters from Ameria and we stay for about an hour after church to visit with the people.

The afternoon was spent milling around the local craft market. The vendors lay out cloth on which they display bowls, pottery, carvings, paintings and brightly colored fabrics. They are not shy about selling their wares and are consistantly in your face convicing you that they have the one item you cannot leave Africa with out. I laughed when one vendor persistantly attempted to sell me a carving of two giraffes not knowing that my friend, Melissa (who invited me on this trip) brought me the exact same one on her last visit. "I already have this one, my friend gave it to me as a gift!" - "That's okay! You need two!" he replied. Like I said - persistant!

Points for Prayer -

- Jetlag, Headaches and Dehydration - I'm feeling the affects of traveling for over 24 hours.

1 comment:

PUPPPsMom said...

2 giraffes. :) Ha!